Мюнхенського нападника затримали, поліція виключає релігійні мотиви

Поліція у Мюнхені затримала підозрюваного, який поранив кількох перехожих.

Поліція виключає релігійні чи політичні мотиви нападу.

За інформацією голови поліції Мюнхена, підозрюваний має проблеми з психікою.

21 жовтня у Мюнхені чоловік напав з ножем і поранив 4 перехожих, після чого втік.

 

Hosting

У Чехії завершилося голосування на парламентських виборах

У Чехії завершилося голосування на парламентських виборах, яке тривала два дні.

Згідно з даними опитувань, найбільшу кількість голосів можуть набрати правоцентристи з руху ANO ( «Так»). Його очолює мільярдер і колишній міністр фінансів Чехії Андрей Бабіш. Спостерігачі припускають, що саме Бабіш може стати прем’єр-міністром, незважаючи звинувачення у корупції і зловживанні фондами Євросоюзу.

Андрей Бабіш не раз критикував ЄС, у тому числі європейську систему квот на прийом біженців та вимоги, пов’язані з переходом на євро.

Оглядачі прогнозують, що до парламенту може пройти рекордна кількість партій – до десяти, серед них праві і ліві євроскептики.

Hosting

У Мінську проходить «Марш обурених білорусів 2.0»

У Мінську 21 жовтня проходить несанкціонована акція опозиції «Марш обурених білорусів 2.0».

Ініціатором акції став опозиційний політик, колишній кандидат на посаду президента Микола Статкевич. Протест не погоджено з владою, але Статкевич заздалегідь попередив про проведення маршу.

Серед вимог присутніх – скасування так званого «декрету про дармоїда», підвищення зарплат і пенсій, борьюба з дідівщиною і насильством в армії.

На перший «Марш обурених» у Мінську у лютому цього року вийшли близько трьох тисяч людей. У нинішній акції участь беруть участь близько 200 людей. Мітингарі йдуть тротуарами, не виходячи на проїжджу частину. Попереду колони йдуть правозахисники і спостерігачі.

Білоруські ЗМІ повідомляють про затримання регіональних активістів, які збиралися приєднатися до акції протесту у Мінську.

Hosting

Man With Knife Attacks 4 People in Munich; Arrest Made

A man with a knife attacked four people in Munich on Saturday and then fled, police said. A suspect was arrested a few hours later, and authorities were working to determine whether he was the assailant.

Police received initial reports of an attack in the Haidhausen area, just east of downtown Munich, at about 8:30 a.m., spokesman Marcus da Gloria Martins said. They determined that a lone attacker apparently had gone after passers-by indiscriminately with a knife.

The assailant attacked six people – five men and one woman – at different sites in the area, with four of them wounded and none seriously, da Gloria Martins said. They mainly had superficial stab wounds and in one case had been hit, he added.

After the attack, police took to Twitter to warn people in the Rosenheimer Platz area to stay indoors and cautioned them to avoid the area around the nearby Ostbahnhof railway station and a park amid conflicting accounts of the direction in which the suspect fled.

Police also issued a description of the suspect, who they said appeared to be about 40 years old and had a black bicycle, gray trousers, a green jacket and a backpack. They decribed him as having a “corpulent figure” and added that he had short blond hair and was unshaven.

About three hours after the stabbing, police arrested a man matching that description who initially tried to evade officers. “We can’t yet confirm whether he is the perpetrator,” da Gloria Martins said.

There was no immediate word on a possible motive.

Hosting

Затриманими у справі про викрадення немовляти у Києві є подружжя, що втратило власне – Геращенко

За підозрою у викраденні дівчинки з дитсадка у Києві затримали подружню пару із Вишгорода, повідомив у Facebook депутат Антон Геращенко.

За його словами, продивляючись записи із камер спостереження у громадських місцях, поліцейські виявили на одному із них – із аптеки у Вишгороді на Київщині – молодих чоловіка і жінку, які були схожі за описом на викрадачів. Особи і місце перебування цих людей встановили ще вночі, а близько полудня відбулось затримання, зазначив Геращенко.

«Кілька тижнів тому вони втратили свою новонароджену дитину і ухвалили фатальне для себе рішення – купити або вирасти чужу. Тепер їм загрожує до 10 років позбавлення волі за статтею 146 Кримінального кодексу за викрадення дитини», – написав депутат.

Перед цим про затримання жінки, яка підозрюється у викраденні немовляти, повідомив Уповноважений з прав дитини президента Микола Кулеба.

Раніше у соцмережах опублікували відео викрадення 1,5-місячного немовляти біля дитячого садка у Києві. Відео оприлюднила користувачка Facebook Олена Степановна.

На першому відео видно, як батько з візком приїхав до дитячого садка, на другому – як дитину несе темноволоса жінка. Спершу вона йде, а потім починає бігти.

20 жовтня поліція повідомила, що в Оболонському районні Київ виклали немовля. За повідомленням поліції, це сталося, коли батько викраденої дівчинки пішов до дитсадка забирати старшу дочку. Тоді поліція повідомляла, що викрадач – чоловік.

Поліція відкрила кримінальне провадження за частиною 2 статті146 (Незаконне позбавлення волі або викрадення людини) Кримінального кодексу України.

 

 

 

Hosting

Підозрювану у викраденні немовляти затримано, дитину обстежують лікарі – Кулеба

Поліція затримала жінку, яка підозрюється у викраденні дитини з дитячого садка у Києві, повідомив на своїй сторінці у Facebook Уповноважений президента з прав дитини Микола Кулеба. За його словами, немовля наразі обстежують медики.

Раніше у соцмережах опублікували відео викрадення 1,5-місячного немовляти біля дитячого садка у Києві. Відео оприлюднила користувачка Facebook Олена Степановна.

На першому відео видно, як батько з візком приїхав до дитячого садка, на другому – як дитину несе жінка з дредами. Спершу вона йде, а потім починає бігти.

20 жовтня поліція повідомила, що в Оболонському районні Київ виклали немовля. За повідомленням поліції, це сталося, коли батько викраденої дівчинки пішов до дитсадка забирати старшу дочку. Тоді поліція повідомляла, що викрадач – чоловік.

Поліція відкрила кримінальне провадження за частиною 2 статті146 (Незаконне позбавлення волі або викрадення людини) Кримінального кодексу України.

 

Hosting

Four People Hurt in Knife Attack in Munich; Suspect at Large

Police say a man with a knife has lightly wounded four people in Munich. Officers are looking for the assailant.

 

Munich police called on people in the Rosenheimer Platz area, located close to the German city’s downtown, to stay inside after the incident Saturday morning.

 

The perpetrator fled the scene. Police said he appeared to be about 40 years old and had a black bicycle, gray trousers, a green jacket and a backpack.

 

The police department said on Twitter that officers are looking for the assailant “with all available police forces.”

 

It said the motive for the attack was not immediately clear.

 

None of the injuries were considered life-threatening.

Hosting

Era Ends: Hong Kong Stock Trading Floor to Close

Hong Kong’s last remaining stock market floor traders are taking their final orders as the exchange prepares to shut its trading hall.

The bourse’s operator, Hong Kong Exchanges & Clearing, says it will close the trading hall by the end of the month and turn the space into a showcase for the city’s financial markets.

Yip Wing-keung, a trading manager at brokerage Christfund Securities, donned his red trading jacket for the last time Friday, his final day on the floor. He and the other few floor traders left have been moving out ahead of the closure.

Computerized trading

The shutdown marks the end of an era for the stock market, which symbolized the city’s ascent as an Asian finance hub. Activity on the floor, one of a few such venues left worldwide, dwindled as stock dealing became fully computerized.

“I feel sadness and regret,” said Yip, who has been a floor trader since the hall was opened in 1986 after four previous exchanges were merged. “Hong Kong is one of the world’s financial centers, but if we don’t have the stock market trading hall, it will be a little sorrowful. This is my own individual reflection.”

Yip said the floor traders resisted the closure. They sent a protest letter to the government but it was in vain.

“We wrote it but were overruled,” he said. “We can’t stop the times from changing.”

Peers disappearing, too

Hong Kong’s stock exchange, Asia’s third biggest by volume, follows other global peers like Tokyo, Singapore and London that have eliminated their trading floors.

In the U.S., floor traders at the New York Stock Exchange still provide the backdrop for financial TV news reports and bell-ringing ceremonies. But Chicago and New York commodity futures trading pits, where traders used old-fashioned “open outcry” techniques, have shut in recent years as volume fell to 1 percent of the total.

Hong Kong Exchanges stopped updating stats for floor trading in 2014, when it accounted for less than 1 percent of monthly turnover.

From 900 desks to 62

In the 1980s and 1990s the hall housed more than 900 trading desks. The exchange’s most recent count showed only 62 dealing desks were leased, with about 30 traders showing up on an average day. On a visit to the hall this week, only about seven traders could be seen.

Back in its heyday, floor trading was computer-assisted but dealers still needed to talk to each other to complete transactions, either by phone or in person, depending on how far away they sat from each other, Yip said.

“If they were too far you had to use the internal phone line, but if you couldn’t get through, you had to run over to them,” he said. “So you saw lots of people running back and forth.”

These days, Yip just punches orders into his computer.

“Now it’s more comfortable” but relationships with other traders are not as good as they used to be, Yip said.

He doesn’t look forward to returning to his head office.

“It won’t be so free,” he said.

Hosting

Spanish Cabinet Meets on Stopping Catalonia’s Secession

Spain is holding an emergency Cabinet meeting Saturday to deal with the political crisis caused by the secession push from the semi-autonomous Catalonia region.

Spain’s government set plans in motion Thursday to strip Catalonia of its autonomy after the region’s leader vowed to continue steps toward independence.

Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy’s office has said the Cabinet meeting Saturday is planned to trigger Article 155 of Spain’s Constitution, which gives the government the power to take away some or all of Catalonia’s autonomy. Opposition parties have agreed to support the imposition of central rule over Catalonia.

Catalonia seeks dialogue

Carles Puidgemont, Catalonia’s leader, has said the regional parliament will go forward with a vote on independence if the Spanish government does not engage in dialogue and follows through on its threat to strip the region of its autonomy.

Rajoy had given Puidgemont a Thursday morning deadline to clarify whether he had in fact already declared independence following a referendum earlier this month.

Puidgemont made a symbolic declaration of independence in an address last week, but said he was suspending any formal steps in favor of talks with the government in Madrid. He delivered his updated stance in a letter Thursday shortly before the deadline.

EU leaders watching

At a meeting of EU leaders in Brussels this week, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said the bloc was watching the situation closely.

“We hope that there will be solutions that can be found on the basis of the Spanish constitution,” she said.

French President Emmanuel Macron has called for a discussion of the crisis and a show of solidarity with the Spanish government at the EU summit, but a number of leaders and EU officials oppose adding it to the agenda, saying that the tensions are an internal affair.

Voters in Catalonia voted in favor of independence in the Oct. 1 referendum, but fewer than half of those eligible to cast a ballot took part, with opponents boycotting the process. Rajoy’s government dismissed the referendum as illegal.

Hosting

Judge Tosses $400 Million Verdict in Cancer, Talc Powder Case

A California judge on Friday threw out a $417 million verdict against Johnson & Johnson in a lawsuit by a woman who claimed she developed ovarian cancer after using its talc-based products like Johnson’s Baby Powder for feminine hygiene.

The ruling by Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Maren Nelson marked the latest setback facing women and family members who accuse J&J of not adequately warning consumers about the cancer risks of its talc-based products.

The decision followed a jury’s decision in August to hit J&J with the largest verdict to date in the litigation, awarding California resident Eva Echeverria $70 million in compensatory damages and $347 million in punitive damages.

New trial

Nelson on Friday reversed the jury verdict and granted J&J’s request for a new trial. Nelson said the August trial was underpinned by errors and insufficient evidence on both sides, culminating in excessive damages.

Mark Robinson, who represented the woman in her lawsuit, in a statement said he would file an appeal immediately.

“We will continue to fight on behalf of all women who have been impacted by this dangerous product,” he said.

J&J in a statement said it was pleased with the verdict, adding that it will continue to defend itself in additional trials.

The judge added that there also had been misconduct of the jury during the trial.

J&J said declarations by two jurors after the trial showed that three members of the 12-person jury who voted against finding the company liable were improperly excluded from determining damages.

Nearly 5,000 plaintiffs

J&J says it faces lawsuits by 4,800 plaintiffs nationally asserting talc-related claims. Many of those cases are in California, where Echeverria’s case was the first to go to trial, and in Missouri, where J&J has faced five trials.

The Missouri litigation led to four verdicts against J&J in which juries issued verdicts totaling $307 million. The company has won one trial.

But the Missouri cases, which have largely been brought by out-of-state plaintiffs, have faced jurisdictional questions after the Supreme Court issued a ruling in June that limited where personal injury lawsuits could be filed.

On Tuesday, a Missouri appellate court threw out a $72 million verdict by a jury in February 2016 to the family of a deceased Alabama woman after ruling the case should not have been tried in St. Louis.

Hosting

China Set to Spend Billions on ‘One Belt One Road,’ But Some Want Focus on Poverty

Running 1,300 kilometers over the world’s highest mountain pass, the “Friendship,” or Karakoram, Highway is evidence of China’s willingness to spend big as a contributor to global development.

Costing tens of billions of dollars, the road links western China with Pakistan, part of Beijing’s “One Belt One Road” Initiative, which seeks to rekindle ancient Silk Road trade routes linking China with Europe and Africa and is a central tenet of President Xi Jinping’s leadership, said professor Steve Tsang of London’s School of Oriental and African Studies. 

“The government is committed to do whatever it can to make sure that it is successful,” Tsang said. “So a lot more money and resources will be put into it to support that.”

But figures show that since the Karakoram Highway was built, Pakistani exports to China have fallen while imports have increased, raising concern China’s new Silk Road could become a one-way street. 

WATCH: China to Spend Billions More on ‘One Belt’ Initiative, but Campaigners Want Focus on Poverty

​Address poverty

Stephen Gelb of the Overseas Development Institute says Beijing should focus its investments on global development goals.

“At the moment there’s a lot of focus on infrastructure and particularly transport, pipelines, that sort of thing, which don’t directly address poverty,” Gelb said. “And in fact there’s been in some cases some controversy about the social and environmental impacts. But I think the focus should be to address development, including poverty and related issues.”

Gliding above the choking traffic of the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, the Chinese-funded tramway system opened last year at a cost of half a billion dollars. Beijing says investments like this will boost African economies, thereby alleviating poverty.

Gelb says it is also part of China’s plan to become a dominant force on the global stage.

“It was affirmed in Xi Jinping’s speech (this week to China’s Communist Party Congress),” he said, “China’s very much about these days rules-based global governance, multilateralism, globalization.” 

Visiting India this week, U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson accused China of not always playing by those rules.

“China, while rising alongside India, has done so less responsibly, at times undermining the international, rules-based order,” Tillerson said.

Paying the piper

Recipient countries have welcomed Chinese investment, which sometimes comes with fewer conditions than Western aid, such as demands for democratic reform. But Tsang warns there could be a sting in the tail.

“The real issue will come when some of those countries, particularly in central Asia, have to pay back some of the loans that were acquired in the Belt and Road Initiative,” Tsang said. “And most of those countries will have problems paying back those loans.”

For now, Chinese investment continues to expand. Development campaigners say Beijing’s focus should be not only on ports and pipelines but on tackling poverty.

Hosting

Афганістан: понад 70 людей загинули через напади на мечеті

В Афганістані щонайменше 72 людини загинули у результаті двох нападів смертників у мечетях країни.

Один напад стався у Кабулі, коли віряни 20 жовтня зібралися на п’ятничну молитву у шиїтській мечеті «Імам Заман» у районі Дашт-е-Барчі. Тут, за повідомленнями поліції, загинули щонайменше 39 людей, 45 поранені.

Інший напад стався у провінції Гор у сунітській мечеті. Тут, за офіційними даними, загинули щонайменше 33 людини, 10 поранені. Місцева влада повідомляє, що мішенню був командир, що воює проти талібів, який перебував у мечеті.

Наразі ніхто відповідальності за напади не взяв. Раніше за побідними атаками стояли угруповання «Талібан» та «Ісламська держава».

Напад сталися за день після того, як у результаті атаки угруповання «Талібан» на військову базу у Кандагарі загинули 43 військових.

Hosting